Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When I Grow Up

A few days ago Clay and I were talking about jobs, careers, and what we would do if we could be anything. Someone told me once that to be happy in your work you should think back to when you were little and just be what you answered to the "when I grow up" question. If you asked the little girl me, I would have told you I wanted to be a flight attendant. Sure, I would love to go lots of places and see lots of things, but I don't think it would make me truly happy. The more I thought the more I realized it wasn't WHAT I wanted to be, but WHO I wanted to be...

I want to be like Garrett, who is so good. Not just well behaved, but good to the core. He cares for everyone. He worries about everyone. He would give you everything he had, just because it would make you happy. He would never want to hurt anyone, or be mean to them. He also wouldn't even know if someone were mean to him, because to him hurting someone is just not an option. He has never met a stranger. He is willing to work hard and do whatever it takes. He is so polite... I have been stopped by total strangers more times than I can count just to tell me this. He loves every second of life and enjoys each thing he does like its the greatest moment of his life. He is truly one of those genuinely good people.


I want to be like Grant, who just is who he is. He is a little bit of a loner, and quite content to be. He is a charmer without trying to be. He is quiet and soft spoken. He is smart...things just come easy for him. He is an old soul. His laugh is infectious. He knows what he wants and you cant change his mind. I cant imagine anything better than knowing who you are, and being fine with it.


I want to be like Gavin. He is just happy. He is not afraid of anything. He is a risk taker. He is adventures. He is funny. There is never a dull moment in life.


I want to be like them...when I grow up.

2 comments:

Nonni said...

What a sweet post, Amber! Lucky boys to have such a loving mom who celebrates their special gifts!

Amanda Pilkinton said...

I just started crying! What a sweet momma!